What is the importance of maintaining good oral health? Put simply, good oral health translates to good overall health. This is why it is important to have proper oral hygiene. However, oral hygiene isn’t just the responsibility of your dentist, Dr. James Bourne of Eagle Dental in Homer, AK—you also play a crucial role in it. When properly perform your responsibilities in maintaining oral health, you prevent tartar and plaque buildup, dental caries, periodontal disease, and lower the incidence of halitosis.
The Link Between Oral and Overall Health
Is there really a connection between the two? Oral bacteria have been associated with diseases like diabetes and AIDS aside since these negatively impact the immune system of your body. And just like most parts of your body, your mouth has bacteria too. It is the entry point to the respiratory and digestive tracts, and when these bacteria reach these places in your body, diseases are soon to follow.
It is therefore vital to keep the bacteria in your mouth under control. You can do this by exercising good oral health care like brushing, rinsing, and flossing daily. If you allow the bacteria level to become infectious, gum disease and tooth decay will start to appear.
When you take medicines like antihistamines, diuretics, antidepressants, painkillers, and decongestants, it reduces saliva flow. In effect, it limits the ability of the saliva to remove food and neutralize the acid from the bacteria in your mouth. So when you are sick, you need to take extra precautions to level up your oral hygiene.
Adult Oral Hygiene
What can you do to maintain good oral health? Start with these essentials:
- Use toothpaste with fluoride and drink fluoridated water.
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily and floss after to eliminate dental plaque.
- Avoid using tobacco products or quit smoking.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic drinks.
- Keep chronic diseases, such as diabetes, under control to avoid other oral diseases like gum disease.
- Make sure that you schedule regular visits to your dentist in Homer, AK, at least twice a year even if you are not experiencing dental problems. This helps you catch oral diseases early on and apply the appropriate treatment.
For More Oral Care Advice, Give Us a Call
Dial (907) 235-8574 to schedule your consultation with our dentist, Dr. James Bourne, here at Eagle Dental in Homer, AK.