Posts for tag: Dental Crowns
How Dental Crowns Restore Damaged Teeth
It’s almost impossible to bite or chew properly if you have even just one damaged tooth. Shooting pains and sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures are just some of the symptoms. Not to mention the fact that you feel self-conscious about your smile. Dental crowns offer an effective solution to chipped, fractured, or broken teeth. Dr. James Bourne is a dentist at Eagle Dental in Homer, AK. He can help you restore your damaged teeth with dental crowns.
Restoring Tooth Function with a Dental Crown
Because a dental crown completely covers a damaged tooth. It eliminates pain and discomfort while restoring the functionality of the tooth and protecting it from further damage. Once the crown has bonded, it is securely in place and you don’t have to worry about it breaking or falling off. You will be able to eat and drink as normal without worrying about your tooth hurting. No one will know that you have a crown because they are designed to be the same size, shape, and color as your natural teeth.
What Happens When You Get a Dental Crown?
Our Homer dental patients find that getting a crown is a straightforward procedure. You can expect:
- Dr. Bourne will take X-rays to examine the health of the inner pulp of the tooth. If it is infected, he will perform a root canal.
- Some of your damaged tooth’s outer enamel will be removed and an impression is made so the lab can make you a crown.
- Once the crown has arrived, Dr. Bourne will bond it to your tooth and make sure you have a natural smile.
If you have a damaged tooth, you should get it treated as soon as possible to avoid infection or further damage. If you are looking for a dentist in Homer, AK, contact Dr. Bourne at (907) 235-8574 to schedule a consultation.
Do you need crowns from your Homer, AK, dentist?
Crowns are vital for restoring your dental health. Often confused with veneers, crowns are quite different. Veneers adhere to small areas, but crowns cover the whole tooth.
More About Crowns
They improve your smile and protect your teeth. They are synthetic caps placed over teeth and usually made of porcelain. Crowns help reinforce weakened teeth and hide aesthetically unflattering teeth. Often referred to as caps, crowns are used to cover unappealing teeth after undergoing restorative procedures, like root canals and dental implants.
Unsightly teeth can also result from:
- Serious traumas that result in cracks, chips, fractures, or dents
- Yellowed or stained teeth because of smoking, chewing tobacco, or aging
- Poor dental hygiene leading to cavities and severe decay
Crowns are used for several procedures, such as attaching bridges, covering implants, and protecting loose fillings that may completely dislodge.
Your Homer doctor prepares your tooth so that it may fit under your crown. An impression of your tooth is taken and sent to a lab where a custom-designed crown is manufactured. Your doctor can provide you with a temporary crown until your permanent crown arrives from the lab.
How to Care for Crowns
There are several things you can do to maintain a healthy oral regiment and prolong your crowns, which may last up to eight years or longer.
- Maintain a hygienic oral regimen to avoid plaque buildup and cavities will help crowns last. Make sure your regimen consists of brushing your teeth twice a day, and flossing at least once a day.
- Wear a nightguard if you suffer from bruxism, teeth grinding, as well, so make sure you discuss this with your dentist.
- See your dentist twice a year for professional cleanings, eating healthy and using fluoride-containing products improve chances of your crowns lasting longer.
For more information on dental crowns, call Dr. James Bourne in Homer, AK, at (907) 235-8574 today!